Hepatitis C information
IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, WE HAVE ANSWERS!
Hepatitis C 101
What is Hepatitis C?
- Hepatitis C is a serious, blood born virus that damages the liver
How do people get Hepatitis C?
- People can get Hepatitis C from a very small amount of blood
- Hepatitis C can live outside of the body for up to three weeks
- Today most people get Hepatitis C by sharing needles, syringes, or other equipment to inject drugs
Hepatitis C can be Cured!
- Anti-viral medications can cure Hepatitis C for most people in 8-12 weeks
Who should get tested for Hepatitis C?
- Were born from 1945-1965
- Received donated blood or organs before 1992
- Have injected drugs, even if it was just once or many years ago
- Have certain medical conditions such as, chronic liver disease, HIV or AIDS
- Have abnormal liver tests or liver disease
- Have been exposed to blood from a person with Hepatitis C
- Are on hemodialysis
- Are born to a mother with Hepatitis C
- Are pregnant